Sunday, June 17, 2012

House going up and Horse going down . . .

Q: What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic, and a dyslexic?
A: A guy that stays up all night wondering if there really is a Dog.



House going up:

It is really taking shape. Hard to believe we'll be moving in before the Summer is over, then the real work starts. Building a house is easy, building a home takes a little more work. If you ask me, its the work that makes it special.

The Hardyplank comes out of the box that color, it hasn't been painted yet.


Horse going down:

They'll give just about anybody a driver's license apparently. Last Monday I went for a hack on a big beautiful warmblood that's at the barn deciding what he wants to be when he grows up. Kris (barn owner and dear friend) came with me on her horse. In the short distance that we had to walk on the grass along the road some crazy woman driver came speeding up behind us in a very loud pickup truck.  Having someplace of utmost importance to be she did not find the need to slow down AT ALL. Horse spooked, horse fell, horse landed on Jen.

We unfortunately landed on the pavement. The sound of that helmet hitting the road was a sound I won't forget. My first thought was "Oh my God, I'm still alive", my second thought was "Oh my God, get this horse off of me".

Bought myself a ride on an ambulance and found out just how uncomfortable those backboards really are. But I came out pretty good: left foot broken in 2 places, poor little dislocated toe, and a hairline fracture of the left hip. Considering he landed right on me and rolled off the top, I think I did okay.

Take home message : ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET!!! I would have been roadkill had I not been wearing one. Well, roadkill or maybe a veggie-for-life eating strained prunes and wearing depends.

As I type this I should be in Aiken at the Full Gallop Horse Trials competing Coby on their amazing Prelim course. So disappointing. I forever cling to the thought that things happen for a reason. Maybe that woman learned a valuable lesson about road safety, and maybe that lesson will keep her from killing someone later on. Maybe I wasn't supposed to go to Aiken for some forever unknown reason. And maybe crap just happens. *shrug*.

Well, as they say in the big tent - just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming swimming.

1 comment:

  1. aye aye aye, I'm glad that in the grand scheme of bodily injuries you are a-ok!

    ReplyDelete